"Endings are elusive, middles are nowhere to be found, but worst of all is to begin, begin, begin." (Donald Barthelme).......“The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress.”(Philip Roth).......“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.” (Stephen King).......“Writers live twice.” (Natalie Goldberg)....."The business of life is the acquisition of memories" (Downton Abbey)

Thursday 11 December 2014

Episode 9 - Meetings


Hatherton had been brought to Middlethumpton. He did not know why, but was very angry about it. Gary drove to HQ to explain about the action of bringing him to Middlethumpton and then to ask about the nature of Burton and Hatherton’s contact.
Gary hoped Hatherton would be talkative. It would be a step forward in some direction or other. If Hatherton prevaricated, it was because he had something to hide.
Gary also decided that every inch of Kelly’s farm premises would have to be raked through. Up to now, they'd only looked at Burton's living quarters in detail and made a superficial investigation of the farmhouse.
Since their release earlier in the week, the Kellys had kept their heads down, though news of Burton's murder and the arson had been leaked to the press. Curious about their current frame of mind, Gary phoned them while he was waiting for Hatherton.
Kelly had evidently assumed that they would be hauled in again and protested that you can't hang anyone twice, which prompted Gary to point out that they had been freed on Tuesday and were now both required to make statements concerning fresh evidence by nine o’clock that very evening. Would they drive over to HQ in their own car, or would they prefer to be collected by a patrol car? Allowing them to choose how they would get to HQ was as reassuring as Gary could make it on the spur of the moment.
It remained to be seen whether they would turn up. He phoned Cleo and told her of his decision. Cleo woke out of a deep sleep and pointed out that you could not leave suspects to their own devices. Gary said that a chip under Kelly’s car would make it possible to trace them and he had already organized that. Cleo pointed out that Kelly and his wife could simply get on a bus or train and disappear. Gary was angry with himself for not thinking of that first.
”Sweetheart, you need me even if the only reason is that I don’t have the faith in human nature that you seem to have,” Cleo said.
“I’ll have to hope that they don’t do a bunk, Cleo. It’s too late to reverse my instructions.”
Gary was now understandably nervous, but the Kellys came within an hour and Kelly was even flustered because they had had to park their car in a dark street behind HQ.
Gary had already decided that once the Kellys were at HQ he would let them stew in separate cells overnight while he drove to Heathrow to see how Robert  was coping.
Hardly had the Kellys sat down in Gary’s office before he told them he was detaining them.
“Did the black woman tell you to?” said Magda.
“No one told me to,” said Gary. “But I have to leave immediately and I might not be back in time to talk to you again today.”
“Then we’ll go home and come tomorrow,” said Magda.
“Don’t waste your breath Magda,” said Kelly. “You can see he isn’t going to let us go again. What are you afraid of Mister?” said Kelly.
“I’m not afraid of anything, Mr Kelly.”
“Then let us go home.”
“I need you here,” said Gary. “I’ll organize a decent supper for you and we can talk tomorrow morning.”
“Don’t you go to church on a Sunday?” sneered Magda.
“Not tomorrow, Mrs Kelly.”
Gary phoned for two security guards and the Kellys were led to separate cells.
***
Gary wondered how he could get at the truth about the Kellys' relationship with Burton. The Kellys would  be questioned separately. He was sure that Magda had some sort of arrangement with Burton and would even need protection from the guy she had married if she had broken her agreement with him. On the other hand, Kelly might have had an arrangement with Burton.
But he still had to talk to Hatherton. The questioning would be short since Gary did not want to miss Gloria’s arrival.
***
Hatherton was brought in. He was composed. This was not the first time he had been interrogated.
"Why did you go to Brent Burton's barn, Mr Hatherton?" Gary asked, without any kind of preamble.
"Come on, Inspector," Hatherton said. "You know I import diamonds. Burton was a diamond cutter by profession."
Gary had not known that. It was not mentioned in Burton's profile. Quite possibly it was information Burton had preferred to keep to himself. It was obvious to Hatherton that this cop had not known about Burton’s profession. What sort of research did he do?
"I can see you didn't know that, Inspector. A bit of a dark horse, Burton."
"I had heard," waffled Gary, hating to be wrong-footed.
"Really?” said Hatherton, not hiding his disbelief. “Then you know why I went there."
"There could have been other reasons."
Hatherton sighed. He was already bored with Hurley’s clumsy questioning. Interpol did it better.
"Such as what?” he said. “My usual cutter in Amsterdam was indisposed. I was tipped off a while back that Burton might work for me again, and where he could be found, so I went to find out if he would still cut stones."
"Why the ‘still’?"
“For some reason he had closed down his lucrative business. He was the best cutter I have ever known, Inspector, and he worked for me regularly before he went to ground in that old barn. I pay well, and I never found out why he gave up stone cutting for a down-and-out barn and a bit of sheep-sitting."
“Did you say that Burton also cut decorative stones?”
“You don’t make much money shaving industrial diamonds, Inspector.”
So Hatherton dealt not only in industrial diamonds. Jewels were a far more lucrative source of income, of course, and if he also smuggled them, pushed into cigars, for instance, his good fees were probably a way of silencing Burton, who was, on the other hand, unlikely to spoil trade with a good client.
"It’s like this,” said Hatherton, suspecting that the cop knew nothing about how the jewel trade worked. “Now and again I get an offer of really high quality stones. Then I get them cut by an expert and make quite a lot of money on them."
"Did Mr Burton agree to work for you again?"
"He wouldn't commit himself."
"Did he give a reason?"
"No."
"But you left uncut stones there, didn't you?"
"Nothing spectacular. Tiny industrial stones wrapped in a sort of rhinestone substance. I thought it would tempt him to ask for beauties to work on."
"And did it?"
"I never got a chance to find out."
"So you never saw him again."
"That's about the size of it."
"Who supplied you with the diamonds, Mr Hatherton?"
"That’s a trade secret, Hurley."
Gary realised that he was at a dead end there. He changed tack.
"Did you get to know Magda Kelly when you visited Burton?"
"I knew Magda long before she became respectable."
"Really?"
Hatherton grinned as he thought of her.
"Magda is quite a girl."
"So you were one of her clients, were you?"
"That's none of your business."
"When did you last see her?"
"When I visited Burton."
“Excuse my asking, but did you have sex on that occasion?”
“Excuse my telling you that it’s none of your business.”
“But you left stones there, didn’t you?”
“What if I did?”
"Magda stole at least one of them," Gary informed him.
“Do you know how many there were?” said Hatherton. “But that’s irrelevant, Inspector. Magda probably thought they were worth something, but what she pocketed was an imitation. I had taken the industrial diamonds with me. The stones I left were only old-fashioned rhinestones, though fake diamonds can now be made from a lab substance called moissanite. Burton would have recognized what they were, of course. That’s probably why he left them for Magda to find."
Hatherton laughed as he thought of the game he had played with Magda’s greed..
"You did not meet up with Magda after that, did you?"
Gary’s questioning puzzled Hatherton. He stood up.
"You dragged me here to question me about a guy I met only once in recent years and end up asking me questions about my private life,” Inspector. “What’s it all about? My private life is none of your business."
"I don't agree, Mr Hatherton. Everything is relevant in a murder case.
“Murder?”
“Didn’t I tell you? Burton is dead. Shot in the back.”
“Good God,” said Hatherton.
I have to go now. We’ll talk tomorrow morning, Mr Hatherton. I can even bring you together with the Kellys.”
"What purpose would that serve?"
“It would satisfy my curiosity,” said Gary. “Mr Kelly is volatile and curiously possessive of Magda."
"He knew what she did before they got married. Wasn’t he one of her clients?"
“Magda probably wanted to get out of prostitution,” said Gary.
“That would not surprise me,” said Hatherton. It’s a hell of a trade.”
“The problem is that Kelly might smell a rat, especially if it involves payments he didn’t know about, and he might include you."
“I see what you mean. That would make Kelly dangerous,” said Hatherton, now less indignant and more thoughtful.
“Yes,” said Gary, looking closely at Hatherton. “And we should get things cleared up between you.”
“Did Kelly kill Burton,” said Hatherton.
“I’m rather hoping you will ask him that,” said Gary.
“You must be joking.”
Hatherton had a peculiar, involuntary little twitch near his right eye and was quite obviously unnerved. Hatherton had been one of those clients Magda had entertained on the sly. She had pocketed her payment. Gary liked to watch people reacting in such situations. Sometimes it produced interesting results. Cleo would not have approved. It was a man thing, he thought. Getting results rather than messing around with philosophies.
Gary rang the buzzer under his worktop and a police guard entered rapidly.
"You all right, sir?" the anxious guard wanted to know.
"Perfectly. But my friend here would like to be taken to an arrest cell for a few hours."
“Order something to eat, Hatherton. The guard will organize a TV and bring you anything you need – within reason.”
***
Before Gary drove to the airport he had five minutes to make a list of what he wanted to get from the interviews with his three captives. It did not make strong reading. He often wished he was back on patrol. Life had been simpler then.
***
After Hatherton had been handcuffed and whisked away by the guard, Gary called Shirley Temple, who had been ‘looking after’ Magda. Shirley was to bring the prisoner to his office. He had about half an hour before he would have to leave for Heathrow.
Gary had decided to ask Magda one or two questions ahead of the big interview next morning. He would just have a one to one chat with her. Friendly like! Shirley asked him if he was barmy. Gary did not think so. Shirley could not be present, but she could observe the proceedings through the one-way glass in the neighbouring office.
***
"Well, Magda. Been working in your old profession, I understand."
"I don't know what you mean."
"Of course you do, Magda. Burton, Hatherton, and so on. I wasn’t born yesterday. If the cap fits, wear it!”
Magda came to a decision. She realised that whatever the cop knew he would use in some way. She had said too much to that secretary woman in police garb. She would play along with this copper, but make it her game.
"Only if you wear it, too, Mister."
Gary overlooked the innuendo.
"I can't promise anything except that I’m unlikely to join your list of clients, Mrs Kelly," he said.
Magda Kelly paused to drink the coffee Gary had poured out for her.
“Disgusting stuff,” she said, pulling a face.
The coffee was rather awful. Gary hoped Magda would not spit it out. She didn’t. Quite out of the blue she started talking.
 “Hatherton was a good private client in the old days," she announced.
“Private?”
“I kept the fee.”
"Old days?"
"Before I met Kelly."
“Not just before you met Kelly.”
“To be honest, no. Not just before.”
"Was Kelly also a client?"
"Itinerant."
"You mean he was a casual customer?"
"I suppose you could call him that."
"But he knew about your .... profession?"
"He rescued me from it."
Gary smothered a laugh.
"Rescued you?"
"You know; from commercial sex; fee-paid and all that."
Gary was amused by her euphemism, but getting her to say more about her promiscuity would not really serve any purpose right now.
"And Burton?"
"I never met him before he moved into the barn."
"Do you expect me to believe that?"
"It's the truth."
"But he was attracted to you from the start. Is that what you wanted to say?"
"I told him I wasn't interested. Between you and me, I didn’t think he could pay anything."
"But he pestered you."
"Yes."
"And treated you like a normal person not wanting to have an affair?"
"Yes."
"So you were flattered."
"No."
"Why not?"
"He was unappetizing."
That coming from a prostitute was a bit heavy.
"So he didn't … whet your appetite."
"Not for free, he didn't."
"So men who pay are appetizing and men who don't aren't?"
"You could put it like that."
Gary paused. Magda Kelly would not reveal how much she had been paid, of that he was certain, but he needed to know when she had last seen Burton, with or without payment. At that moment he would have liked to know whether he himself belonged in the appetizing category.
"How often was Burton … appetizing?"
"That varied."
"How?"
"Circumstances. Opportunity. Cash flow. Burton was experienced. Kelly is a flop in bed.”
“Even with your charms, Mrs Kelly?
“I did not marry him for sex. He might have chucked me out if he knew I was visiting Burton. Kelly has weird morals and that farm is a good pad."
“I thought you and Kelly had an agreement about your earnings on the side.”
“We did. He chose the clients, and Burton was out of bounds.”
“Why?”
“I don’t work for charity.”
"But you found him appetizing, now and again. I suspect that you found Burton appetizing even when he was skint?’
“A girl needs a hobby, Mister. As I said, he knew his stuff in bed.”
Gary was now going with the flow.
"He was attractive in a strange sort of way. He grew on me,” Magda volunteered. ”We’d wait till Kelly was at the pub. Kelly would be too drunk later to think about what I did when he wasn't at home."
“Were you in love with Burton?”
“In love? I don’t do love. Burton wasn’t as appetizing as you, but he knew what a girl likes.”
Gary winced at that and wondered what Shirley was thinking.
"OK, Magda. Let’s talk plain, shall we? Was the night before Burton was killed the last time you had sex with him?"
"I don't keep a diary."
"Your fingerprints were on the glass rescued from the burning barn. Can you explain them?"
"I had a drink with him in the afternoon before they found him and he didn't wash up afterwards. Anything wrong with that?"
"Did you ever have sex with Burton outside the barn?"
Magda deliberately misunderstood.
"I don't work outside, Mister."
She was becoming annoyed with the questioning.
"You know what I mean, Magda. In the park, or a hotel room, or the room upstairs at Delilah’s bistro."
"No … No, I lie. We had sex once in that room above Delilah’s regulars’ room, but she wouldn’t let us upstairs again."
"Did she say why?”
“She said I looked like a prostitute and she wasn’t going to let the bistro get a bad name.”
“Understandable, but you were seen with Burton there more than once."
“I may have delivered something from the farm and stayed for a drink and the bumped into Brent. I don’t remember. He badgered all sorts of women."
"I suppose he took anything he could get."
"Does that prove anything? It was me he really wanted. He told me that."
“He was getting it for nothing, Magda.”
“Not always, Mister. He paid when he could.”
"We'll check on your information with Delilah."
"Go ahead. She’s broad-minded and she's got a nice lover," said Magda with a sudden sparkle in her eyes. "Very appetizing and we got as far as the snug once. I could have got him into bed, but Delilah didn’t let him out of her sight for long enough."
“You’d better keep your hands off him, Magda.”
Tell him to keep his hands off me!” retorted Magda.
That disturbed Gary. He didn’t want to know if Mitch was consorting with Magda. Delilah was a nice lady. She didn’t deserve to be treated badly and he now suspected that Mitch had laid Magda on a regular basis.
"Did Mitch pay you?"
"No. Sometimes sex is a hobby more than one time, Mister." Magda snaked herself to the edge of her chair and leant forward so that Gary could not help seeing into her cleavage. "Have you got a hobby, Mister?"
***
Enough was enough. The woman was actually making a pass at him. He rang the buzzer for the duty guard to enter.
"Mrs Kelly would like to go back to her cell," Gary told him.
Magda Kelly was led off smirking. The guard was smirking, too. Magda's mojo was infectious. She was not handcuffed. She stretched a hand out to squeeze the guard’s buttock. It was Gary’s turn to smirk as the guard turned to look at him with a ‘help me’ expression on his face.
***
Shirley switched the two-way speaker on and told Gary he had had a narrow squeak. That did not help to improve Gary's temper. He could have kicked himself for conducting that interview solo. Was he losing his grip?
Cleo would laugh her head off about him being alone for one minute with such a woman. Good God. Could he tell her about it? Could he tell anyone? OK. Shirley was in on it and he could only hope that she would keep quiet. She hadn't been in the room, after all. Her listening-in was a privilege. He thought of the recording of the conversation he had made. Perhaps he should delete it and say it hadn't worked out, if Shirley decided to reveal that he had been interviewing a female suspect without the presence of a reliable witness. No. Deleting recordings was no longer possible. The IT experts would recover it. So much for jumping the guns. On second thought's he wouldn't ring Cleo. It was his case, not hers.
***
Shirley was unimpressed by Gary now she had found a new, more powerful admirer. A knockout pill in her mother's cocoa ensured that Mrs Temple slept soundly through whatever went on in the house. At 11 p.m. most nights, Shirley was bathed, perfumed and clothed in something transparent when the object of her current attentions parked his car round the corner from the house and let himself in with a latchkey. As always, Roger Stone was too preoccupied with getting into Shirley's bed to bother about the second car that had parked some way behind the first. Someone else was interested in that lovers' tryst.
***
While Gary was still smarting about what he had to admit was Magda’s coup and sure that he had revealed to her and Shirley that he was vulnerable and impressionable, both highly dangerous character traits in a detective, Robert was negotiating the emotional state of discovering that not only was Cleo still married, but that her petulant, egocentric mother was  about to descend on them and cause even more havoc. Gary's reassurances that they were watching out for Salerno alias Samson had done little to put his mind at rest.
"I’m glad you’re in the car with me, Cleo. I could not have left you alone in the cottage with Jay Salerno at large.”  
"For my safety, Robert?"
"Yes, but  to be honest, I don't want to have to deal with Gloria on my own. She's bound to be hysterical."
"Don't you believe it, Robert! She's always hysterical about trivialities, but she takes big dramas in her stride."
"This drama is a size too big for all of us."
"Don't worry. It’s just as well I didn’t have to go to South Africa. To be honest, I'm not afraid of Jay. If he does knock on our door, it will be the last ditch for him. He must realise that."
"I hope you're right! What a good job it's Sunday tomorrow. At least I don't have to get to the shop."
“She’ll call you Bobby again.”
Don’t remind me. Your mother's preference for endearing nicknames really gets my goat."
"She'll still be energy-charged. It's early evening for her, remember."
"Whatever possessed her to want to come here?"
"She is scared of Jay. She has a guilty conscience and wants to put things right with me. She’s using Jay’s escape as a reason to come here."
"Hasn't the rotter been on the run for weeks? Surely he'd have turned up at your mother's by now if that had been his intention."
"I would have thought so. But he may be in this country and she wants to protect me as well as herself."
"A bit late in the day. She didn't protect you when the bastard nearly killed you."
"She defended him until the truth was so blatant that even she had to believe it, and that was when he got prison for putting me in the hospital. But it wasn’t till the court case that my mother realized what a skunk he is."
"Some mother!"
"Marriage was something she'd have liked and envied me for."
"Marriage to a delinquent?"
"That's about the size of it. I don't think he'll try anything, and anyway, he's a wimp. No match for you."
"Unless he's got a knife or a gun!"
"Not his style. Always the macho. Fisticuffs all the way, but without the rules of fairness. I'd just like to know how he got away with the identity swap. I would never have credited him with that much intelligence."
"Cleo, don't start looking for the good in that guy. He's dangerous."
"I know that, but…"
"No buts..."
They did not discuss Cleo’s continued married state. Robert's divorce had eventually come through and they had wanted to combine their wedding with Christmas so that Gloria and few of Robert's Welsh relatives with whom he still had sporadic contact could be there. He planned to tell them the whole sad story about his youthful elopement, the sad years thinking he was a widower and the happy end consisting not only of Cleo, but also the very belated discovery that he had a grownup daughter.
Robert felt vengeful about the man who had caused Cleo such pain and not done them the favour of getting killed off. On the one hand he did not want to set eyes on the man, while on the other he wanted to thrash him to the point of death or beyond. Watching Robert beating the life out of the steaks, Cleo hoped he was thumping his frustration away and would remain calm in the presence of his almost-mother-in-law and not get worked up about the eventual unwelcome appearance of Jay Salerno.
"Don't worry about a thing, Robert," she said. "We'll solve the problem of Jay Salerno when we get to it."
"Or he to us! Can we?"
"Of course. We're not going to let a jerk like him spoil our lives."
"That's all I wanted to know," said Robert.
***
After long drive, several coffees and a glance at the hot-off-the-press Sunday newspapers, the arrival of the direct flight from Chicago was announced. Robert had driven Cleo's leased car to Heathrow and been impressed by its performance. He thought she should get one like it. Should he order one from a different dealer? Cleo told him she had already done ordered one from a dealer in Middlethumpton.
For a moment Robert was worked up about that. Had Gary Hurley had a hand in it? Then he decided he was imagining things and did not even ask her.
***
After the usual long wait at the exit gate while Gloria ran hysterically up and down the baggage conveyer belt before spotting and swooping on her own property with total disregard of anyone who was between it and her, she made her way towards the exit, waving and smiling broadly as she bore down on them.
You could be forgiven for getting the impression that it was just a family reunion, so care-free did Gloria seem now she had regained her luggage and arrived on what she fondly thought was safe ground. Out of the blue, Gary Hurley stepped forward through the waiting crowd, showing the customs officers his ID badge. Ignoring Gloria for the moment, he spoke to the security staff in charge of that flight. No sign of Jay Salerno or anyone remotely fitting his description had been on that plane, he was told. Though it was possible that Salerno had already been able to get through Heathrow security at some other time, at least he wasn't on Gloria's heels now.
"Why, Gary," Gloria called out. "Nice to see you and thank you for meeting me."
Cleo and Robert looked on while Gloria gave Gary her full attention after waving to them briefly and giving a kiss-type salute.
"I don't suppose you recognized Salerno on the plane, Mrs Hartley, did you?" he asked her, after checking that security hadn’t overlooked him.
"Oh no, Gary. I would have screamed for help if I had. The cops back in Chicago told me to do that."
Cleo wondered if Gloria realized the potential danger of an escaped convict against whom she had testified.
"Mother, you are not here for a party or even by invitation, so what do you want?"
"That's not a nice way to greet your mother, Cleo," retorted Gloria. "You've heard about Jay's prank?"
"Prank? He escaped using a dead guy's credentials," said Gary. He was baffled that Salerno had been able to bluff US prison security and hope the authorities would find out who had helped him. Where had prison security been? He pointed out to Gloria that Jay Salerno could be a murderer on the run since he had not yet been informed whether Samson’s death was from natural causes. But whether he had murdered Samson or not, the sooner Salerno was caught the better.
"I know all that," said Gloria. "That's why I'm here. I was a sitting target in Chicago without even knowing it, though I expect he got through to Mexico pretty quickly."
"Why Mexico?" Gary wanted to know.
“Everyone goes to Mexico,” said Gloria.
"Gloria,” said Gary with as much patience as he could muster,” Salerno could be somewhere in the UK by now. There was a gap of two days when they didn't even know the dead man was Joe Samson, and we only heard about the incident this week. Salerno had plenty of time to get on a plane to the UK before the cops raised the alarm.”
"You mean he could already be on our trail?"
"Yes."
Gloria became solemn and tearful at the thought that she had kept Salerno's escape a secret from Cleo, though the police in Chicago had told her not to tell anyone because they did not want their investigations spoilt.
“Do you mean that you were one of the first to know, Mother?”
“It beggars belief,” said Robert.
Gary escorted Gloria, Cleo and Robert to their car.
"I'll phone you tomorrow, Cleo," he said.
"OK."
"But that'll be after questioning the Kellys."
"You didn't phone after your interview with Magda."
"Something came up. I'll tell you tomorrow."
"Did she seduce you, Gary?”
Gary looked stricken. Robert looked surprised and a little gratified. Cleo could not hide a smile.
“So she tried, did she?” Gloria teased. “I can't wait to hear all about it!"
There was a wall between him and Cleo whenever Robert was anywhere near and Cleo wanted it that way. Gary went back to his car, that was parked near Arrivals and adorned with a large notice saying “POLICE BUSINESS” and drove off without saying goodbye properly.
“He’s unfriendly,” said Gloria. “What’s up with him, Cleo?”
“Indigestion, I expect,” she replied, bundling her mother into the back of the car together with her suitcase on wheels that was too big to fit into the car boot. She would not mention Gary, but Gloria did.
“At least your cop came to meet me,” she said.
“He is not my cop and I didn’t know that he was coming.”
“I’m glad he checked on the passengers.”
“And I’m glad he kept to his job and did not get sociable,” said Robert.
***
“You aren’t having an affair with Gary, I hope,” said Gloria, looking hard at her daughter. “No. Of course you aren’t. You’d tell me if you were, wouldn’t you?”
“I wouldn’t, Mother,” said Cleo, “always supposing I was having an affair with anyone.”
"Want to drive, Cleo?" Robert asked, wondering what Cleo had meant.
"No, you drive, Robert. I don't think I have the necessary concentration."
"Who’s Magda anyhow?" Gloria wanted to know.
"The Kellys are farmers from Lower Grumpsfield and suspects in a murder case."
“And Magda is a whore,” Robert added.
"And you are investigating the case, Cleo? I'm so proud of you."
"No, Mother, I'm not investigating it, but Gary often needs someone neutral to discuss cases with."
“I’ll bet he does if the woman had a go at him.”
So Gloria had jumped to the same conclusions after seeing Gary’s crestfallen face when Cleo mentioned Magda. No wonder he needed the Hartley Agency and no way was Cleo going to discuss cases or Gary with her mother.
"Gary has come to rely on Cleo for sound advice," said Robert. "They're a bit short on that at Middlethumpton Police Headquarters."
"Well, if you need any assistance, let me know," said Gloria.
"I won't, Mother, and it would be highly dangerous for you to stick your nose in."
"Gary might not think that," Gloria argued.
"I'm sure he would," said Cleo, fury rising in her. Gloria snorted disagreement. Cleo turned the car radio up loud. The mother-daughter relationship was on a knife edge again. Why, oh why had Gloria left Chicago?
Robert stifled a chuckle. Would Gary be able to deal with a woman like Magda? What advice would Cleo have to offer?
***
Towards the end of the journey home it was Robert who broke the stalemate between the two women. He turned the volume of the car radio down and asked Gloria if she had ever sold meat.
"I've done all sorts of things in my day, Bobby," replied Gloria. "I had quite a long spell as a saleslady after Cleo's birth and before I got my figure back enough to start dancing again."
"You never told me that, Mother," said Cleo, wondering what Gloria meant by figure. As far as she knew, Gloria had always been tubby. Her line dancing had been in a row of equally tubby women. No dying swans among them. Wasn't that what had fascinated her father after years of subscribing to the ballet, where all the girls looked as if they were on the verge of starvation?
"I know all about American meat cuts, of course, and how to cook them" Gloria said.
"So do I now," said Robert. "Cleo taught me and my customers rave about them."
"Why do you need to know that about Mother, Robert?"
"Yes, Bobby. Why?"
"Phyllis is off sick again," said Robert. "Bun in the oven, I believe."
"What's that?" asked Gloria.
"She's pregnant, mother."
"Oh!"
Phyllis was Robert's part-time assistant. At first she had been enthusiastic, grateful for the job and hardworking, but gradually that had tailed off into sullenness and total lack of cooperation because she was sure that she was indispensable. Now Robert had just thought up a brilliant way of showing her that she could easily be replaced.
"She won't be back at work for at least ten days."
"Or ten months," said Cleo.
"And I didn't think she was getting anywhere with Gareth Morgan, which only goes to show what a dark horse he is."
"Show me that guy!" said Gloria.
"I don't suppose he had anything to do with it," said Cleo.
“To do with what, Cleo?” Gloria wanted to know.
“To do with Phyllis having a baby, Mother. Mr Morgan is as pure as the driven snow.”
Robert found that amusing.
“Through no fault of his own, Cleo. It’s just that women don’t want anything to do with him.”
“How do you know that?” Cleo asked.
“Because I’ve had a few women in the shop who have experienced Gareth’s wooing techniques at first hand.”
“OK. Tell me more about the guy!” Gloria said.
“It’ll bore you, mother.”
“Then make it short!”
Cleo had no alternative but to tell Gloria that Gareth Morgan was a Welsh church organist who had moved into Robert's flat above the shop after Robert went to live with Cleo at her cottage. Phyllis had had designs on Mr Morgan, at least initially, except that they were really designs on Robert’s flat. Given her cunning, it was only a matter of time before she managed to move in with him, at which Robert chipped in and said he thought she slept there quite often and might even have moved in by now. If that was the case, he’d make sure that she moved out again. But Robert thought it might not come to that since he had seen her getting into a gaudy-looking car with a sparsely clothed woman painted on the front when Gareth was in the church practising. The guy dangled his arm out of the car window and it was all muscle and tattoos. Cleo assumed that he had fathered Phyllis’s child.
"It takes all sorts," said Robert. "I wouldn't touch her with a bargepole."
"Mr Morgan is not your type, either, Mother. Small, scraggy, badly dressed, poor skin….."
“I’m not looking for a guy,” said Gloria. “When shall I start, Bobby?"
"How about tomorrow? We’ll go through the sales routine and then you can face the customers on Monday."
***
Cleo couldn't have been more pleased. Robert had solved the problem of life after Phyllis, if only temporarily. He would have a cheerful, talkative assistant instead of the one who looked gloomy all day, stole meat and short-changed the customers whenever she could get away with it. He would - and that was the best part - be giving Gloria something useful to do, which would hopefully stop her interfering with Cleo's detective work.
"When are you going back to the States, Mother?"
"I only booked one way."
Cleo's feeling of relief was instantly quelled. If Gloria was a success at the shop, she would not even consider going back to Chicago until at least after Christmas. Robert's heart sank too, because he was supporting any decision of Gloria's to stay in Upper Grumpsfield for far longer than they hoped! But there was no turning back now.
"I’m glad you are going to help me at the shop, Gloria."
"I can't wait. As long as you don't want me to wield an axe, Bobby. I've never done that."
"No axe, Gloria."
"It's a deal, then."




No comments: